Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

My first attempt at Chalk Paint

With all the thrift furniture I have been acquiring in need of a makeover, I have been doing a little research for great ideas and better techniques. I came across this wonderful product called Chalk Paint. 
I had never heard of it before. 
So I googled it. 
I found TONS of information and youtube tutorials. After hours of watching, I finally decided. . . 
I had to just try it. I decided to start small. I figured I could not mess up a pumpkin!


It was so easy, and I am in love with how they look. 
So I figured I would venture into furniture territory


This was a $2 chair I found at a thrift store. I have my mothers old dining room table that I am making a larger top for. My plan is to collect 8 - 10 mismatched chairs that I can paint all the same color and then pair them with the new/old dining table This will be the beginning of that project.

So this is what the chair looked like to begin with. 
It was painted a very boring brown and except for some minor gouges was in pretty good shape.





And this was the chair after one coat of the Chalk Paint. 
PRIMER?  Nope
SANDING?  None
And where I started was completely dry by the time I finished!
Then I took a fine grit sand paper and lightly (LIGHTLY) scuffed the edges to reveal the brown underneath.




After I had finished the scuffing, I brushed a light coat of Soft Wax over the top. That also dries very fast. After it had finished drying I took a soft cloth or sock and just buffed it a little. It has the most velvety feel and just a slight sheen. I will never go back to regular latex for furniture again. 


 VIOLA!
 This is the finished chair. So beautifully modeled by my Samantha and Sabrina in our backyard.
(we do not have a lawn mower, 
so they pretend the backyard is a beautiful field) =)







This may be a project that takes me forever to finish,
 AHHHH. . . .one down, only 9 more to go!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've half-finished painting some 100-year-old chairs a cool green color and it's a MASSIVE undertaking. This method seems like it would have been much, much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! You have such great ideas and a beautiful family. Just wanted to tell you I admire your courage in following your heart as you live your life. You are inspiring to me. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Adoption Awareness Month! As a fellow adoption advocate we thought you would enjoy taking part in Open Portrait, a blog that is painting a portrait of open adoption through photos, videos, and quotes. We would love you to participate and help spread the word! http://www.openportrait.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natasha it was much easier! And I sympathize with your massive undertaking. I would love to see how they turn out.

    Kristen you are so very sweet. Thank you for such kind words. Have we ever met in person?

    ReplyDelete