Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Office Chair makeover

Remember this lamp and chair I bought from a yard sale last year. I did a little revamp of the lamp, and the chair was about to get a makeover as well. 

I started by unassembling the back and seat cushions so I could paint the exposed wood.


I did a very light sanding just to get off the peeling varnish.
Then I painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in CoCo. This is by far some of my favorite paint for furniture. It goes on so well and you don't need a primer to make it adhere. After it was dry I used a thin layer of the Annie Sloan clear Wax to seal it and then buffed it. 
Once the frame was finished I was ready to move on to the cushions. I thought about just covering the black vinyl. . . . and then I realized I would probably be sliding around if I left it on. So I began to remove all the vinyl. . . . .one tiny staple at a time
  It felt like I must have removed 10,000 staples from this chair!



And with each piece of vinyl I took off, I made sure not to throw anything away. 

 Because I did not throw any of the pieces away I was able to create a pattern for my fabric. 

The cushions were in great shape, so I just added a little bit more fluff to the center and then covered them with my fabric.

And I did take pictures of all the steps to sewing and attaching the covers. . . .but they have mysteriously disappeared. But it went something like this. . . .
1. I layed out all the pieces on my fabric and cut.
2. Stapled the fabric onto the bottom cushion making sure to pull tight
 and using hospital folds on the corners
3. Sewing the cording to the side and front piece for the back cushion, then sewing on the side piece and stapling to the back cushion.
4. After stapling the pieces to the back cushion I hot glued trim to cover the staples.
5. I reattached the back & bottom cushion with screws.



Before ~

After ~

I still have to make curtains, but I think my office is finally starting to come together.

5 comments:

  1. wow wow wow.

    thank you for such lovely inspiration! found you at MMS's link party, always a favorite!

    hope you can swing by:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-sale-giveaway.html

    smiles to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow wow.

    thank you for such lovely inspiration! found you at MMS's link party, always a favorite!

    hope you can swing by:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-sale-giveaway.html

    smiles to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and design in the fabric--where did you get the fabric? It would be the perfect fabric for accent pillows on my new couches!


    Executive Chair

    Used Office Furniture

    ReplyDelete