Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Getting settled...

So... we made it to Mexico safe and sound. But now what? Well it took us 6 days just to make the drive. And once we got here it took about a week to put stuff away, find out how to get cell phones and communicate with the kids, get groceries, hook up internet and all the regular getting settled stuff.  Once we had that handled it was time to get down to the business of finding out how we were going to make a living.


So GT called the people we had originally spoke with about diving and I started working on a website for them. I also got busy working on a new website for myself. 
Well it took about 1 more week for us to start to get a little bit discouraged as we discovered and talked to more people about just how hard it is to make a living as a dive master if you have a family. 
And as I had started making inquiries about photography at the resorts here we soon discovered that Mexicans will take care of each other before they will give business to a foreigner. So it was gonna take me a bit longer to gain the trust of the locals before they would send business my way.

My mind was racing as I thought about everything I needed to do,
and all the contacts I needed to make, 
and how long we had until out money ran out, 
and how much time it would take to find our permanent rental, 
and if we would have enough money to buy furniture if it wasn't furnished, 
and where we were going to enroll the kids for school and on and on...my mind 
was going in so many directions I did not know what to do first! 


We went last Sunday to a church service and I listened to a man named Daniel share about how he decided to not do anything until it was clear what God's will was. 
So I decided to do the same.  
I really started asking God why on earth we were here. 
Why did we sell everything, and move more than 3,000 miles away? 
I really started to wonder if we had made the right choice. 
And I told God I would not do anything until it was clear what God wanted me to do. And as I knelt for what seemed like forever in silence, (about 10 minutes) I just waited to hear God speak. 
And the strangest thing happened....my mind went ABSOLUTELY blank! 
There was no to do list, no what ifs, no worries. Just empty. 
So I asked God....does this mean you want me to do NoThiNg!! 
But God-I can't just do nothing. God already knew that, but still, for the next 2 days my mind was emptier (is that a word) than it had ever been. 
And then we went to a prayer meeting and bible study on "Having the mind of Christ" on Wednesday, and on the way home I realized that my mind was not blank, it was still. For the first time in all my life my mind was still and calm. I could focus on anything I chose because I did not have a million thoughts constantly flowing. God had given me a calm and a clarity I had never before experienced. 
And at that moment I knew God was taking care of everything and I did not have to worry anymore.

The next morning GT came home from talking to a guy, and had been hired at a resort to sell timeshares. Not what we had originally planned, but still something GT is very gifted at and thrilled to be doing. And because GT was hired by this resort, the resort will do all the paperwork to get GT his FM3 visa, which was one more of my HUGE concerns. God just keeps reminding us how much better He is at taking care of our needs than we are.

So our faith continues to grow, and our hearts continue to overflow with gratitude for our Lord

1 comment: